Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wednesday – Sweet potato dumplings with soba noodles served in miso. For one!



I don’t know many people who enjoy cooking for one. The quantities are tricky and often you just can’t be bothered. Today I received a call at work from Luke telling me he had a work do so wouldn’t be home for dinner. So, rather than ordering take away I decided to use this opportunity to try out something new (that he might not like!).
I didn’t want to go to the shops so thought about what I might have in the cupboard.
Miso soup paste, soba noodles and some left over wontons wrappers from my wonton noodle soup (yet to be added from the other night, it is coming I promise!).
It resulted in a beautiful mild soup with tasty sweet potato dumplings that burst with flavour. Another fun one to eat while you try get those slippery noodles from the bowl to your mouth!
I only just finished eating it and was so excited to share it I got typing!

Please do give it a go and let me know what you think.

A few notes before you start though…
I have a mild white miso. It comes in a packet of little sachets for single serve.
I use a thicker soba noodle as I prefer the texture and they don’t go gluggy so quickly.
I also baked my sweet potato for a richer flavour, if you are more pressed for time you can cook it in the microwave or on the stove.
Obviously, if you want to make this for more than one, multiply the recipe by the amount of people you plan to feed.

Ingredients

2 handfuls of sweet potato in thin cubes
Generous tea spoon ricotta
Drizzle of oil
Salt
4- 6 wonton wrappers


Just enough soba noodles to fill your tummy

Soup:
One sachet white miso
Little splash of soy
Small amount of finely sliced spring onions
2 cups water

To make dumplings:
Pre heat oven to 200 degrees ( non fan forced )
Place sweet potato onto a lined baking tray and lightly over in oil and salt.
Bake for 30 mins (or until cooked )
Once cooked remove from oven and put it into a mixing bowl.
Add ricotta and with a potato masher (or you might like to put it into a food processor but I didn’t want to have to clean it ! ) mash until ingredients are well mixed. ( a little bit lumpy is ok ! )
Spoon mixture into the centre of the wrappers
Fold wrappers in half and press edges well

To make soup:
Boil water
Add in miso paste and mix well
Add in soy to taste and spring onions
Reduce heat to a simmer

To cook noodles and dumplings:
In a pot of boiling water put in noodles and dumplings
Cook for 3-4 mins.
Drain

To serve:
Put noodles and dumplings in the bowl and cover with soup… THAT EASY!!

I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment